Acceptable ID Types for Rhode Island
Rhode Island voters must show ID at the polls to vote. Valid forms of identification include;
- Rhode Island driver’s license
- US passport
- ID card issued by an educational institution in the United States
- US military identification card
- ID card issued by the U.S. government or State of Rhode Island like a RIPTA bus pass
- Government issued medical card
- Rhode Island Voter ID card (contact your Secretary of State for more info on how to receive a RI Voter ID card)
- Tribal ID
What happens when you go to vote without an ID
You can vote using a provisional ballot. You must provide necessary information to the Board of Canvassers by close of business the day after Election Day. Otherwise, a signature match will be used to determine if the ballot can be counted.
Trans and Non-Binary Voters
Click here for state specific information for updating your ID and voter registration.