Ever wonder if your vote impacts the community? Check out pending state legislation that directly impacts trans youth in 29 states across the country.
What are most of these bills about?
- Whether trans youth can change the gender marker on their birth certificate - 2 states with bills
- Whether trans youth can access healthcare related to their gender (including hormones, hormone blockers, and gender affirmation surgery) - 17 states with bills
- Whether trans girls can play on girls sports teams - 28 states with bills
Why should you care?
We want participating in democracy to be a positive experience for all people.
- In states with voter ID requirements, access to identification matching a voter’s gender identity increases safe access to the polls.
- 86% of LGBTQ youth say that recent politics have negatively impacted their well-being.*
- Many of these bills legally define sex based on chromosomes, reproductive anatomy, and testosterone levels. This changing definition will likely impact future legislation.
How can you help? Make your voice heard!
- Research the proposed bills in your state
- Share this information with your friends and family
If you’re looking for resources to Vote with Pride, check out our Pride Voter Hub for voting resources for the LGBTQ+ community. For more information on how to support LGBTQ youth mental health, check out the Trevor Project.
View this post on Instagram
*Source: The Trevor Project