Helpful Voting Links — South Dakota
Do not miss your next election! Many states will hold local elections in 2019. Visit your state\'s website for local election dates and deadlines.
- Register to Vote
- Check your registration status
- State Election Website
- State Election Dates
- Find your Polling Place
- See Your Ballot
- Absentee Ballot Instructions
- Request an Absentee Ballot
- Felon Voting Laws
- Call the Election Office: (605) 773-3537
- County Election Offices
- County Government Information
Primary/Caucus Info — South Dakota
Only registered voters affiliated with the Republican Party may vote in its primary. Registered voters that are unaffiliated may vote in Democratic primary. See South Dakota Republican Party or Democratic Party sites for more details.
What's on the ballot?
Some congressional seats, state offices and constitutional amendments may be included on the ballot.
See Where Your Elected Officials Stand — South Dakota
Voter ID Requirements — South Dakota
What forms of ID are acceptable?
- South Dakota driver’s license or non-driver ID card
- A passport or other photo ID issued by the U.S. government
- A current student photo ID from a college or university in South Dakota
- Tribal identification with a photo
If you do not bring your ID on Election Day, don't worry. You may fill out a personal identification affidavit and still be allowed to vote.See ID Requirements for All States
Early & Absentee Voting — South DakotaRequest an Absentee Ballot
Early Voting Dates: September 21st to November 5th at 3 p.m.
You can vote in person at your county clerk office from September 21st to November 5th at 3:00 pm, using an absentee ballot.
To vote absentee by mail, first you’ll need to apply for an absentee ballot (click here) no later than November 5th at 5:00 p.m. Then, when you complete your absentee ballot, it must be postmarked by the day before the election.