Voting in New Hampshire

Change My State

Election Dates

General Election Date
Voter Registration Deadline (in-person)

Vote By Mail Deadlines

Deadline to Request Ballot (Received by)
Deadline to Return Ballot (Received By)

Polling place hours: Opens between 6 a.m. to 11 a.m. and close as early as 7 p.m.

Register to Vote

How to Vote in New Hampshire

Learn about all the options to vote in New Hampshire to make a plan to vote that works for you!

Frequently Asked Questions

New Hampshire Board of Elections Phone Number: (603) 271-3242

New Hampshire Board of Elections Website

Having trouble at the polls?

Call or text: 1-866-OUR-VOTE

Register to Vote in New Hampshire

Whether you are registering to vote for the first time, or need to update your address, name or party affiliation - we've got you covered!

Am I Registered?

Not sure if you are eligible to vote due to a felony conviction?
Click here to learn more.

Vote By Mail

Request and track

Notice: Mail-in voting is a convenient and safe way to vote, but your ballot might not count if it’s submitted late or with errors. So follow the directions below on how to vote early or absentee and make your vote count in New Hampshire.

Vote By Mail Deadlines

Deadline to Request Ballot (Received by)
Deadline to Return Ballot (Received By)

Excuse required to vote by mail.

How Vote By Mail Works in New Hampshire

Voting by mail is a two-step process in New Hampshire.

Step 1: Request your ballot NOW. You must have an excuse to qualify to vote with an absentee ballot. There is no set deadline but we recommend you request your ballot by March 7th - if possible, you should apply well before then!

Step 2: Complete and return your ballot ASAP.

  • Return in-person to your local election office by 5 p.m. on March 14th.
  • Or stamp and mail your ballot to your local elections office so that it is received by March 14th. We recommend mailing your ballot at least two weeks before as the post office is not always reliable. The best intentions or postmark will not matter if your ballot is received after March 14th - your ballot will not count.

Click Here to See Your Ballot

Where to Sign Your Ballot

Remember to sign your return ballot.

After you complete your ballot, sign the affidavit printed on the outside of the envelope. 

Be sure that your signature matches your signature on file with the state! If you registered online or at the DMV, check the signature on your license. If the signature does not match, your ballot could be tossed and will not count.

How You Can Return Your Mail-in Ballot

If you return your ballot by mail, you must add a stamp when mailing in your ballot.

You can also drop off your ballot in person at your local elections office.

Can Someone Else Return Your Ballot For You?

Your family member may return your ballot for you.

Track Your Ballot

Track your ballot by clicking here.

Haven't used your ballot?

If you would like to vote in person, go to your polling site on Election Day.

Opportunities to Fix Challenges to Your Ballot

New Hampshire does not offer voters a chance to address challenges to their ballot. Your ballot will not count if it is late, or you do not follow directions.

Voter ID

Do Voters Need ID?

Photo ID- date of expiration or issuance not to exceed five years, unless the voter is age 65 or older, then the ID may be expired.

  • Driver’s license from any state or federal government
  • Non-driver ID card, from any state
  • US Military ID
  • US Passport
  • Student ID, issued by accredited and approved institutions in NH (if from postsecondary school, date of issuance is required)
  • Any other photo ID considered legitimate

Voter ID in New Hampshire

Find Your Ballot

Enter your address below to see what you can expect on Election Day.


Automatic Registration

Your state automatically registers people to vote at the address on their drivers license or other state issued ID card. If you have moved but have not updated your ID with your new address, changed your name or want to add a political party selection, you must update your voter registration. Click here to check to see if you are registered to vote, and update your registration if needed.

Election Day Registration

You can register and cast your ballot on Election Day at your local elections office. Bring a valid ID and proof or residence with you.

In-Person Absentee Voting

In-Person Absentee Dates

Dates and hours vary by county. Contact your Local Election Office for more information.

You can vote in-person absentee in New Hampshire

You can go to your local clerk's office to vote in person with an absentee ballot. You will request, fill out, and return your ballot in one visit. 


Some states have laws that specifically allow citizens to preregister at a certain age while others allow registration as long as you’re 18 by the next election. Preregistration means you’ll be automatically registered to vote on your 18th birthday without taking any additional steps.

In New Hampshire, you can preregister to vote if you are 18 by the next election. Register to vote today!

Some states even let you vote in their primaries at 17 if you’ll be 18 by the general election so you can participate in the whole process!

You can not vote in the New Hampshire primaries if you are 17 by the next election.