Helpful Voting Links — District of Columbia
Don't miss your next election! Washington DC holds its general election on November 6, 2018. You may register to vote in person with valid ID at early voting locations and on Election Day in Washington DC. Preregistration and party affiliation is recommended as DC holds closed primaries.
Primary/Caucus Info — District of Columbia
Only registered voters affiliated with a particular party may vote in the primary election. If you are not registered to vote, you can register annd pick a party at your polling place on the day of the primary and vote in that party's primary. However, if you are previously registered you cannot change or declare your affiliation on Election Day. Previously registered voters that would like to become unaffiliated or change party must do so by the party's mail-by voter registration deadlines.
What's on the ballot?
DC offices and constitutional amendments may be included on the ballot.
See Where Your Elected Officials Stand — District of Columbia
Voter ID Requirements — District of Columbia
What forms of ID are acceptable?
- Copy of current and valid photo ID
- Current lease or utility bill with your address
- Bank statement with your address
- Government-issued check with your address
- Paycheck/stub with your name and address
- Other government-issued document that shows your name and address
- Student IDs and cell phone bills will not count as ID; however, you may use a housing assignment form or tuition or housing bills from District colleges and universities.
See ID Requirements for All States
Early & Absentee Voting — District of ColumbiaRequest an Absentee Ballot
Early Voting Dates: October 22nd to November 2nd
You can vote in person at designated locations from October 22nd to November 2nd before the election. No excuse required. You may also register to vote during early voting, but cannot change your party if you were previously registered in DC.
To vote absentee by mail, first you’ll need to apply for an absentee ballot (click here) no later than November 3rd. Then, when you complete your absentee ballot, it must be received by November 6th at 8:00 p.m.