Many states now require Voter ID at the polls in order to vote. Find out your state's ID requirements so you know what to bring with you to cast your ballot.
Do all voters need ID?
ID required for first time voters?
ID required when voting absentee?
Acceptable ID Types for Michigan
- Michigan driver’s license or state-issued ID card
- An out-of-state driver’s license or state-issued ID card
- Any other federal or state government-issued photo ID card
- A current U.S. passport
- A current military ID card
- A current Tribal identification card with photo
- A current student ID card from a high school or an accredited college
Voter ID Details
Photo ID is NOT required to vote in Michigan. You will be asked for a photo ID when you go to vote, but if you are unable to provide one you can sign an affidavit.
What happens when you go to vote without an ID
If you do not have a photo ID or forget to bring it with you to the polls, you can sign a form and then vote your ballot.
Trans and Non-Binary Voters
Click here for state specific information for updating your ID and voter registration.
More Questions? Get Chat Help
Visit our friends at VoteRiders for detailed state specific information. (Note: this link will take you to the VoteRiders chatbot on Facebook Messenger.)