With 2010 coming to a close, we thought we’d share the 10 most popular stories from the HeadCount blog of the last year – as measured by you the readers. Enjoy…
1. Bob Weir Interview (Part 1). We teamed up two legends, The Grateful Dead’s Bob Weir and Rolling Stone’s David Fricke, for a candid video interview. In part I, Bobby talks about the politics of his former bandmates.
2. John Bell of Widespread Panic Interview. In this unusual and candid interview, JB discusses the wellness center he and his wife operate as well as other topics. This pieces reveals a side of Bell seldom seen in other interviews.
3. “Mushroom Master” Paul Stametz Interview. Cult hero Paul Stametz believes mushrooms – of all kinds – can help save the planet. In this interview he reveals a unique “Life Box” concept which allows anyone to grow mushrooms or plants with a cardboard box.
4. The Disco Biscuits Check Out Solar Panels. This year, HeadCount and The Disco Biscuits teamed up to help a Philadelphia public school install solar panels on its roof. This blog offers a first-hand account of the day the Biscuits visited the solar panels and the kids at the school.
5. Michael Franti Interview. Now a crossover pop success story, Michael Franti talks about his evolving political views and reaching “beyond tree hugging.”
6. Jay-Z Appears in HeadCount PSA. HeadCount revealed it’s highest-profile artist collaboration ever – a public service announcement starring none other than Jay-Z. It was filmed at Bonnaroo and later appeared on CBS Network during national broadcasts of “The Late Show with David Letterman.”
7. State Radio’s Chad Stokes Speaks Out. The frontmant of State Radio and co-founder of the non-profit Calling All Crows calls for action on the “Violence Against Women Act.”
8. Phish Telluride “Trip Tent”. The town of Telluride, bracing for an onslaught of freaked out Phish fans, set up a “trip tent” to help Phish fans gently come down when needed (the tent ended up not having a single taker).
9. Mock Show Winners. HeadCount was a sponsor of the Mock Show voting, an election to pick the best posters of 2009. Here we listed the winners.
10. Phil Lesh Birthday Benefit. The Grateful Dead’s Phil Lesh turned 70 this year, and ushered it in with an All-Star show that raised money for victims of the Haiti earthquake.
Well thanks for making the HeadCount blog one of the most popular blogs in America run by a grassroots non-profit organization. We'll have plenty more great stories for you in 2011!