HeadCount’s Diversity and Community Field Fellowship program provides an opportunity for a young student of color to gain grassroots community organizing experience, and lead voter registration drives throughout New York City. Candidates must have a passion for music and civic engagement and will contribute to HeadCount’s national Diversity and Community strategic planning.
The fellow must be able to work 20-30 hours per week for 12-15 weeks in New York City, with 40% of the time spent in the office and 60% in the field. This includes one full day (10 AM- 6 PM) at our Midtown office.
Under guidance and support from our team, the fellow will organize and lead 15 voter registration drives at local concerts, community events, and campus events. This entails 1-2 events per week after initial training out in the field at residency shows.
Fellows will be mentored throughout the summer term as they develop professional skills and receive a stipend of $2,500 distributed in 3 equal payments.
- Research and compile a list of non-ticketed events, organizations, and student groups aimed at serving communities of color, underserved groups, and students in New York City
- Organize voter registration drives and joint events with community partners
- Lead volunteer recruitment and engagement at community events and shows
- Conceptualize and create information material and content to use at community events
- Submit weekly reflection deliverable with feedback on events and tasks
To be eligible, applicants must:
– A student attending a two or four-year college, university or technical school
– Must come from an underrepresented group*
– Demonstrate leadership potential and interested in civic engagement in under-served communities
– Experience with community organizing and canvassing a plus
*For this purpose, underrepresented groups are those who identify as any of the following: Asian Pacific Islander, Black, Latinx, Native American, Middle Eastern, or multi-racial
To apply for this position, please complete the following Google Form Application AND send an updated resume with subject line “Diversity and Field Fellowship” to [email protected].