Address Changes, Overseas and Student Voting

I just moved to a new state the other day. Can I register at my new address?

By Laurie Lenninger on February 3, 2016

Residency rules vary by state. In some states you can register right away. Others require that you’ve lived there for at least 30 days. To learn your state’s guidelines, you are best calling your state election office. You can find the number here.

Can I register if I have US citizenship, but am living abroad and don’t have my own permanent address in the USA?

By clara on April 12, 2012

YES. In this case you must register at the last address you had before you left the USA, or at the address to which you will return. If the latter, you may not simply pick the place you would like to return to in an ideal world; there must be some indication of a present…

I have an out-of-state driver’s license, but I live in this state and want to register here. Should I use my out-of-state license ID number or the last four digits of my social?

By clara on

You should never use a driver’s license number that is not from the state where you intend to register to vote. If your driver’s license is out-of-state, then give the last 4 digits of your SSN (except in KY, TN, and VA, where you need to provide your full SSN). To be on the safe…

If I’m changing my address, do I need to note that on the form?

By clara on

YES, in most cases. On a state form, look for the appropriate check box and/or fill out the section which asks for your previously registered voting address. On the federal, multi-state form, fill out the portion on the bottom half relating to your address change.

I move around a lot and I’m really not sure where I’ll be during the election.

By clara on

The best thing to do is to register now wherever you have a permanent mailing address. Vote in that district and bring some proof of identification and/or residency or apply for an absentee ballot if you will be away during the election.

I’m going to school in the fall and I don’t know what my address will be. What should I do?

By clara on

The best thing is to register now at your permanent address. Then you can apply for an absentee ballot from your local elections office or change your voter registration address at school when you do know your address.

I have moved. Do I need to re-register?

By clara on

YES. You must re-register every time you change your permanent address.

I moved and have missed the deadline to register to vote. Am I out of luck?

By clara on April 8, 2012

In a handful of states, you can update your address after the deadlines. Some states have “Election Day Registration.” So that’s easy. Others will let you update at the polls as long as you are within the same county. Some let you do it from anywhere in the state up to the day before Election…