State Voting Information - California
Primary/Caucus Dates: 06/07/2015
Election Day: 11/08/2016
Get Information About Voting
Questions about voting in your state: (800) 345-8683
See Where Your Elected Officials Stand
Voter ID Requirements
Voter ID Requirements – California
Do 1st time voters need ID? : Yes, if registered by mail, and copy of ID was not sent with registration and if ID numbers were not verified by the state.
Do all voters need ID?: No
Student ID accepted?: Yes, if it has photograph and name
What forms of ID are acceptable?
The following photo IDs that have photograph and name:
- Drivers license or state issued ID card
- Employee ID card
- Credit or Debit card
- Military ID
- Student ID
- Health Club ID
- Insurance Plan ID card
The following “non-photo” IDs that have name and address:
- Utility Bill
- Bank Statement
- Government check
- Government Paycheck
- Document Issued by a governmental agency
- Sample ballot issued by a governmental agency
- voter notification card issued by a governmental agency
- public housing identification card issued by a governmental agency
- lease or rental statement or agreement issued by a governmental agency
- student identification card issued issued by a governmental agency
- tuition statement of bill issued by a governmental agency
- insurance plan card issued by a governmental agency
- discharge certificate, pardon, or other official document issued to a voter in connection with the resolution of a criminal case, indictment, sentence, or other matter
- public transportation authority senior citizen discount card issued by a governmental agency
- identification document issued by governmental disability agencies
- identification document issued by governmental homeless shelters and other temporary or transitional facilities
- drug prescription issued by a government doctor or other governmental health care provider
- property tax statement issued by a governmental agency
- vehicle registration or certificate of ownership issued by a governmental
Early Voting And Absentee Voting
Early Voting and Absentee Voting – California
Voters may vote early in-person at their County Elections Official’s Office starting 29 days before Election Day until the day before the election. Dates and times vary depending on the office. A list of locations can be found here.
Voters are not required to provide an excuse to apply for and submit an absentee ballot. For information on applying for and submitting an absentee ballot by mail, please click here.
Absentee ballot applications must be received 7 days before the election if requested by mail. There is no deadline for absentee ballot applications if requesting in person. Absentee ballots must be received by 8:00pm on election day.
More Questions? Call 866 OUR-VOTE
HeadCount.org provides a comprehensive voter information hub where you can find your polling place, see what's on your ballot, verify your voter registration status, or answer almost any voting-related question. Choose by state or information category.
This resource represents HeadCount's best effort to provide the public with accurate voting information. If you have questions or require more information please visit your state election website, or call 1-866-OUR-VOTE.